How can I change the ownership on my property?

The title on property can be changed via a recorded deed. The Assessor's Office is an "office of record," which means changes in ownership or property boundaries are done based on recorded deeds, surveys, subdivision plats, and other documents pertaining to ownership. Deeds must be recorded at the Clerk's Office before the Assessor's records can be modified to reflect any changes.

Show All Answers

1. What is the assessment cycle for real estate?
2. Why do assessed values change?
3. How is property assessed?
4. What is market value?
5. I've heard you develop values by computer, is this correct?
6. How often does Mecklenburg County assess?
7. Does the Assessor determine the tax rate and the real estate tax?
8. How can I calculate the tax on my assessed property?
9. Does Mecklenburg County offer tax relief for the elderly or military veterans?
10. Does the county offer real estate tax relief for disabled veterans?
11. Why have a property tax?
12. My house wasn't complete on July 1st; how was it valued?
13. What if I change my address?
14. How can I change the ownership on my property?
15. My re-assessment notice or tax bill shows land value and improvement value, but I didn't make any improvements. Why do I have an improvement value?
16. Does Mecklenburg County have a GIS website?
17. Where can I search assessment and ownership information?