Piedmont Court Services
Piedmont Court Services operates under the County of Mecklenburg to provide pretrial and local probation services to the residents of Mecklenburg. Piedmont Court Services provides comprehensive services to the courts of Mecklenburg County through the administration of Pretrial Services and Community Corrections Services for persons involved in the criminal justice system beginning with arrest and incarceration through a post-sentencing period.
Piedmont Court Services operates in accordance with:
- The Department of Criminal Justice Services policies, procedures, and guidelines
- The Comprehensive Community Corrections Act
- The Pretrial Services Act
- Written program standard operating procedures established by Piedmont Court Services and Mecklenburg County
The population served by Pretrial Services includes adult defendants charged with misdemeanor and felony offenses and placed on supervision while awaiting trial.
The population served by Community Corrections Services includes adult offenders/defendants charged with Class 1 and 2 misdemeanors and/or felonies for which the courts impose sentences of 12 months or less and those eligible for deferred proceedings.
The overall goal of Piedmont Court Services is to provide effective, alternative punishment and services for defendants/offenders in order to:
- Enhance public safety
- Decrease jail overcrowding
- Increase offender accountability to the community through community service and payment of restitution and court costs
- Facilitate and monitor offender participation in:
- Substance abuse education, treatment, and testing
- Anger management counseling
- Other appropriate treatment interventions and services as available